Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Post # 13

I think that the idea of online schooling has its pros and cons. Colleges often provide online classes that range from Math courses all the way to public speaking courses. Some of these courses require students to come into classes to take tests and give their speeches however. I think there are benefits to online education in certain situations of course, but not every student benefits from online education. Online courses require students to be responsible for their class work; this can be a problem even for college students who procrastinate. I’m not sure middle and high school students would benefit from this type of education.
I have taken online courses but I really prefer the traditional classroom setting. I do like having online lectures to go back and review before tests but I have notice I make higher grades in courses that I actually have class room time in.
Budget cuts do however come into effect considering the state of our economy. I understand that online education can save thousands of dollars on each student but if the students aren’t benefiting from these cuts, is it really worth saving this money? I think that they should judge and be sure that it will benefit the students in these courses. After all, our job is about the students isn’t it?

2 comments:

  1. Audrey, Your comments about online education are a little bit everywhere, but I do agree with you. Online courses are not for everyone. I actually enjoy online classes. It forces me to concentrate but it also allows to complete the work as I have time for. With having two small kids my online work usually gets completed either late at night or early in the morning when the kids are still sleeping. However I don't think that introducing this concept into high school and especially middle schools is a good idea. Most kids that age do not have a grasp on time management yet and I feel that it would affect grades. I do agree with you about states making cuts but I think education itself should be cut, maybe the salaries of some of those people who call themselves "important" but don't do a lot should look a little closer at what is truly better for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have taken online courses but I really prefer the traditional classroom setting." Why?

    "I do like having online lectures to go back and review before tests but I have notice I make higher grades in courses that I actually have class room time in." have noticed not have notice. What do these tests cover? Memorized facts? Is that what we should be about as educators?

    ReplyDelete