Sunday, September 11, 2011

C4T #1&2

RESPONSE TO: college, passion, and the afterlife
I have to admit that I was one of those students entering college who had no clue what they wanted to do. I even went to a liberal arts college because my parents thought that I would receive a “well-rounded” education that would help me decide what I wanted to do. Because I had not declared a major I was undecided, and basically took general-education classes. I agree there were some classes I could have done without but then there were a few I would never have chosen on my own that I ended up loving. I was in a completely different situation than yours but I can definitely see your side. If I had known exactly what I wanted to do, I would not have wanted to waste my time or money on a course that wasn’t relevant to that subject. I loved your post; it’s always interesting to hear a new perspective on an issue.

In Mr. Spencer’s “Why I accept late work”, he discusses the benefits not setting time deadlines for assignments for students. I thought this was a remarkable entry. I don’t believe I would have been able to appreciate this post 5 years ago; I would have loved the idea of it. No deadlines, students can turn in work whenever they want, what high school student wouldn’t want that? But the older I get the more I realize I need to be responsible and get things done on schedule. I think this is an innovative system and agree that it would help students to learn to be more responsible. They know they can do it whenever they want but to receive the feedback they have to actually do it. His statistics say it all, his class work turn in rate has jumped from 60% all the way to 97%. I think this is a great program, I believe students just need to be given a chance to show how responsible they truly are and Mr. Spencer is allowing them the opportunity to do so. I hope I can implement a system that shows as much progress as he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment